Sunday, August 30, 2009

Important Life Skill Number 274? Check.

Today, I rode a bike. By my self. For the first time ever. And mostly didn't fall. Someone should write a song. And do a dance. Tra-la-la!

Many thanks to the weather for being so beautiful and cool, the Beverly Airport for a nearly-empty parking lot, the Bicycle Gang (Nick, Mat, Kirk, Dawn, Sarah, Christy, Bekah) for their encouragement and good company, Nick and Mat for transporting me there and back again monkey-style, Kirk for helping steady the bike so I wouldn't fall and die before my time, and Brad for the generous although unwitting provision of a bike small enough for me. And, of course, my utter gratitude to the entire Beans Community for the tremendous atmosphere and conversations and food and all kinds of other things that they have grown and and sustained thus far and which have enabled me to dance, climb mountains, and stand on my head. Without all of you, this milestone in my life would remain sadly unpassed.

Next stop: Important Life Skill Number 293: Swimming.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, particularly because--as my homies back home would say--I feel you!

    What I love about being in our community house is that we are all so different and bring different skills, passions and backgrounds to the table.
    It's always hard to surpass the embarrassment associated with trying new things--particularly those things we were once made fun of for. Props to you for overcoming your fears and acquiring new life skills.
    I guess it's my turn to swim, ride bikes and stand on my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I'm not there to assist you with your next life skill. If the community hasn't assisted you with it by the time I get back, I promise that I'll teach you!

    And of course - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete